If your friend or family member has confided in you to help them you have a very important role. The most important thing you can do is to listen.
Please know that anyone can come to Birthright to talk about a loved one experiencing an unplanned pregnancy. Below is a list of suggestions to help someone through an unplanned pregnancy.
- Listen, Listen, Listen.
- Call Birthright.
- Help her identify her core values before a crisis occurs.
- Help her stay true to her values once confronted with a crisis.
- Know who she is as a person and what she values so that you can advocate for her when she feels like she does not know herself.
- Ask her what she will think of this decision in a month. A year? Five years? Ten years?
- Help her problem solve. If she is worried about how her future will be affected by a decision, imagine the possible scenarios with her.
- Remind her that this crisis is temporary.
- Express your concern about her situation and that you want what will be best for her now and in the future.
- Ask how you can help instead of telling her what to do.
- Listen to her thoughts and concerns and let her know that you are always there to talk.
- Encourage her to reach out for help – to speak to a professional or someone trustworthy who has her best interests at heart.
- Help her slow down and not make a hasty decision. Encourage her to take her time.
Birthright Counseling St. Louis is a non-profit agency supported by tax deductible donations, dedicated volunteers and professionals. Birthright does not receive any funding from the State or Federal Government. Donors may qualify for the Missouri Pregnancy Resource Center Tax Credit, which provides a tax credit equal to 50% of your donation for donations of $100.00 or more.