- Take a deep breath and slow down. Don’t make a decision from your initial emotions because they are probably based in fear.
- Separate yourself from the crisis. Remember what your values were before the crisis pregnancy occurred.
- Try to see the whole picture – not only the short-term consequences, but also the long-term consequences.
- Know that there is no easy fix or perfect solution.
- Think about the people you look up to – what would they do in a situation like this?
- Distinguish between your fears and the reality.
- Remind yourself that there are resources to help you throughout your pregnancy (e.g., Birthright). You don’t have to
handle everything all by yourself – Birthright can help you problem solve and come up
with ways to alleviate the pressures you are facing.
- Remember that no matter what you decide, your life has already changed by becoming
pregnant. It’s too late to go back.
- Have faith in your abilities – you can handle more than you think.
- Most of all: be true to yourself and follow your heart. You will have to live with your
decision for the rest of your life.
Birthright Counseling St. Louis is a non-profit agency supported by tax deductible donations, dedicated volunteers and professionals. Birthright does not receive any funding from the State or Federal Government. Donors may qualify for the Missouri Pregnancy Resource Center Tax Credit, which provides a tax credit equal to 50% of your donation for donations of $100.00 or more.